Follow along as I dive head first down the rabbit hole and embark on the biggest adventure of my life: studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain!

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Life's Little Surprises

This week has been a lot more subdued than last week. I feel like I'm starting to get into a routine and become more comfortable here. I finally made it to that dance class the other day and had so much fun! That night they were teaching salsa; I was doing pretty good until the instructor decided to throw in the turns. As long as I was being spun I was fine, but since there was only one guy I was partnered with other girls for most of the night and we had to take turns leading. I tried to spin my partner once or twice and it just resulted in us running into each other. At least it was good for a laugh. :)

Salsa isn't the only dance you can learn at El Savor. They had a bachata lesson last night that I was dying to go to. Bachata is my favorite of the Spanish dances I've learned, but I had to pass on the lesson to study for a quiz in my grammar class. I was bummed out until I had the bright idea to study and do homework on the balcony. About half way through rewriting my notes Cristina ran out and told me to look at the sky. I had no idea what she could possibly be so excited about until I looked up and saw the most beautiful sunset. And to think I would have missed it because my nose was stuck in my notes! I spent forever taking pictures as the sun sank lower behind the mountains, and I'm very happy with the results I got.





In other news, I will have a roommate by the end of the week. So far I've been in the double room by myself, which is pretty nice, but Cristina has mentioned a few times that she wants to put someone else in there. There is a new girl coming on Monday and apparently Cristina reserved Joanne's room for her. This means Joanne has to move out of the room she's in now and she has two options: take the single room next to mine or move in with me. We talked it over and decided that she would be my new roommate! To be honest, I'm a little nervous about sharing a room. I've never had to do it before and I'm a huge fan of having my own space for my more introverted days, but Joanne is pretty awesome and we've bonded a lot over the past two weeks, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Cristina was so excited to hear the news I think she would have actually jumped for joy if her back didn't hurt so much. She decided that we have to celebrate tomorrow, I didn't catch everything because she was talking so fast, but I'm pretty sure she said something about making sandwiches for us with whatever ingredients we want. She also went out and got us each a present today. I am now the proud owner of a gorgeous new scarf! I was so taken aback when she gave them to us; I'm pretty sure this is one of the prettiest scarves I've ever seen. Joanne and I both just looked at her with wide eyes and our jaws hanging open slightly as Cristina told us that they're for the winter because she doesn't want our necks to get cold. She is so incredibly sweet, I can't wait till the day that my Spanish is good enough to actually understand her the first time she says something and be able to respond with more than "sí sí sí."

Until next time, here are pictures of my new scarf and roommate!



This picture was taken just before the fireworks show last Friday. Hopefully tomorrow we can get a good picture of the two of us wearing our scarves. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment